Sunday, September 12, 2010

Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili



Wooooohoooo! Packer Sunday!! I don't feel like cooking really sooooo I made something in the slow cooker! Yesterday I picked up this awesome slow cooker book although, this recipe is actually from Prevention.com.

So here is the recipe as listed on the website along with the nutrition information:

Ingredients

Prep: 10min|Cook: 3hr 0min |Total: 3hr 10min Serves: 6

Directions

1.
In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, corn, scallions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 hours on high.
2.
Garnish each serving with cilantro and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips, if using.

Nutritional Facts per serving

CALORIES 228.1 CAL

FAT 6.9 G

SATURATED FAT 3.4 G

CHOLESTEROL 13.2 MG

SODIUM 979.7 MG

CARBOHYDRATES 31.6 G

TOTAL SUGARS 4.9 G

DIETARY FIBER 8.4 G

PROTEIN 11.7 G

*******************************************************************************


I kept everything the same and I am debating on serving this with spaghetti, the WI way, or just making a pasta side. We'll see. You can add ground turkey to this recipe to make it meaty rather than vegetarian style.

Basically I threw everything into the crock pot. I used more than a cup of corn. About 15oz. can of corn. Here are the canned goods I used:


Instead of tomatoes with chilies I had some in the pantry so I just used regular tomatoes and chilies from a separate can. I made sure to use no salt added tomatoes and rinsed the black beans to reduce the sodium:


Next I cut up the scallion (mmm not pictured) and added all the spices. I use Bowl of Red seasoning for the chili powder:


After everything is combined it looks like this:

Cook on high for 3-4 hours! I'll post a picture at the top when it is completed :)

Go PACK GO!




No comments:

Post a Comment