Saturday, September 11, 2010

Italian Sausage and Veggie Pasta

Hope everyone was able to take a moment out today and remember the tragedy of September 11th today. I went to the grocery store this morning and they observed a moment of silence which I thought was really great. People actually paid their respects too.

Well, moving on the the recipe!

Tonight I am enjoying a recipe I picked up at fitnessmagazine.com. Here is the recipe as given on the website followed by my pictures and alterations:


Italian Sausage and Veggie Pasta


Ingredients
2 ounces uncooked whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1 precooked Italian-style chicken sausage, sliced into rounds
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions. Heat spaghetti sauce, sausage, garlic, and vegetables for about 12 minutes, until veggies are tender. Top pasta with sauce mixture and sprinkle with cheese.

Nutrition facts per serving:

  • Servings Per Recipe 1 serving
  • Calories494
  • Total Fat (g)13
  • Saturated Fat (g)5
  • Carbohydrate (g)71
  • Fiber (g)6
  • Protein (g)31
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
***********************************************************************************
Firstly, I multiplied everything x4 because I didn't think this was enough to feed the family and we like left overs. Start boiling the water for the noodles and heating your precooked sausage as you chop up the ingredients.
First I chopped the zucchini (about 2 1/3 cup worth):

Next I cut the mushrooms about 2 cups worth:

Next I only used 1/2 of a large while onion. I am really not a fan of onions:

I minced up some fresh garlic (4 cloves because one was quite large)... mmmmm:

I combined all the ingredients in a bowl so I could dump it in all together. Remove the sausage from the stove:

I purchased chicken sausage sweet Italian style. This is 4 sliced sausages:

In the background of the above picture is the spaghetti sauce I used. I used the entire jar. This would be a good time to add noodles to the boiling water. Combine all the above ingredients (not the noodles) and heat on a medium heat for about 12 minutes until the veggies are tender:

Lastly, when everything is finished, top noodles with the sauce and a little Parmesan. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt. Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete